ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal
http://forums.te4.org/

Some assistance would be nice...
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21470
Page 2 of 3

Author:  madmonk [ Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

If you can post your character here...

So in the Character Sheet you can dump to file, then you can upload that file to Oook as it is called and then we can have a look!

Author:  bio_hazard [ Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

WizardRiley wrote:
Alright, so I've tried to do the quest given by the mayor, but I cannot pass the thieves I come across, let alone the bandits. I've also tried just using a melee class, but I can't seem to surpass my record of level 3; I suppose either I'm absolutely terrible, or I'm doing something wrong.


A few suggestions:

1) for melee- go for a light weapon like dagger, main gauche etc. If you've rolled a decent character you should get multiple blows with it, and somewhat counterintuitively, you will actually do more damage.

2) adjust your speed tactics (melee- berzerk/running, caster- coward/running). Running will allow you to run away back towards the cells you started in, and unless someone already stole from you and poofed away, you should be able to get enough separation to duck into a room and rest if you get in trouble.

3) don't try to fight them all at once- lure them out one at a time if you can. rest up between fights to recover hit points and/or spell points.

4) once you kill one or two of the thieves, you will probably gain a level. This will give you more HP. It will also give you 6 skill points per level. Go to the skills screen (shift-G I think?) and add some points to the important skills. For casters, you can greatly increase your spell points with by putting a few points into magic, and for melee characters, put your points into combat, weapon mastery, and/or the specific swords/axes/archery etc. There are definitely other things worth putting some points into but for now we just need to keep you alive!

Author:  WizardRiley [ Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

madmonk wrote:
If you can post your character here...

So in the Character Sheet you can dump to file, then you can upload that file to Oook as it is called and then we can have a look!


Here's my failure :D http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10061


Edit, sorry, I double posted, that wasnt intentional :oops:

Author:  WizardRiley [ Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

bio_hazard wrote:
WizardRiley wrote:
Alright, so I've tried to do the quest given by the mayor, but I cannot pass the thieves I come across, let alone the bandits. I've also tried just using a melee class, but I can't seem to surpass my record of level 3; I suppose either I'm absolutely terrible, or I'm doing something wrong.


A few suggestions:

1) for melee- go for a light weapon like dagger, main gauche etc. If you've rolled a decent character you should get multiple blows with it, and somewhat counterintuitively, you will actually do more damage.

2) adjust your speed tactics (melee- berzerk/running, caster- coward/running). Running will allow you to run away back towards the cells you started in, and unless someone already stole from you and poofed away, you should be able to get enough separation to duck into a room and rest if you get in trouble.

3) don't try to fight them all at once- lure them out one at a time if you can. rest up between fights to recover hit points and/or spell points.

4) once you kill one or two of the thieves, you will probably gain a level. This will give you more HP. It will also give you 6 skill points per level. Go to the skills screen (shift-G I think?) and add some points to the important skills. For casters, you can greatly increase your spell points with by putting a few points into magic, and for melee characters, put your points into combat, weapon mastery, and/or the specific swords/axes/archery etc. There are definitely other things worth putting some points into but for now we just need to keep you alive!


I appreciate the suggestions, but I can't even cast a spell right now

Author:  bio_hazard [ Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

A couple of things- magic-types in ToME are pretty sensitive to armor (it restricts their spell-casting). Can't remember if leather gloves do this or not, but you might pass on armor except for a robe to begin with.

You might have to wield a light (torch) to read a book?

And I'll just check, because I know this tripped me up at first- are you sure you are CASTING and not COPYING the spell? Both of those options come from the 'm' menu.

Author:  WizardRiley [ Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Ah, finally figured out how to cast magic, I saw that it asked me to cast it in a direction, and I remembered a few commands that use that, so I experimented, and killed my first monster with manathrust. :)

Author:  madmonk [ Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

WizardRiley wrote:
Ah, finally figured out how to cast magic, I saw that it asked me to cast it in a direction, and I remembered a few commands that use that, so I experimented, and killed my first monster with manathrust. :)
I am so pleased! Go to it, and yes, we do try to help!

Author:  WizardRiley [ Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Started using the summoner, very fun to use giant white mice to get revenge, but only that, no fun to use them to get through everything.

Edit: So I've noticed in the fire school, you start with orb of light, but I dont see how it can be useful if you can't cast it in the dark in the first place since you need to read a book. Edit: Found it will light rooms which isn't lit by your torch.
Second Edit: Using necromancy as a sorcerer, and when I raise something, sometimes it will be far far above my level, and sometimes a litch, but they can't survive a level 1 attack, do I need to enhance my undead somehow?
Third Edit: How do I save my macro's? Every time I die and start over, I'd like to not have to constantly rebind things

Author:  WizardRiley [ Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

I'm trying to use undead.... but, I dont know what I can eat in order to keep myself from being hungry. So far I've tried a corpse but that didnt help

Author:  Shoob [ Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

only 4 (or 5) things can satiate undeads, only one (or 2) of them involves eating.

there are junkarts that satiate, scrolls that satiate, vampires can bite, lembas fully satiates as well as some other stuff

Author:  WizardRiley [ Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Hmm, I've also learned the ability for things like "Extra blow", is that something that's always active?

Author:  overtrix [ Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Some classes get it free after a while, some would have to 'buy' it, for some it would be a waste of skill points. You don't have to activate it in any way. It doesn't grant you an extra blow come what may, but rather lets you take fullest advantage of being strong and nimble. Imagine getting a "20% off" voucher for a helicopter, you need to be fairly rich in the first place or it'll be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Author:  WizardRiley [ Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Er, now, when I try to play the game, the screen (within the application window) is all black. D:
Edit: Never mind, got it fixed. But is there a way to "update" the old ASCII tile set, to fit more accurately of whats around you? It doesnt show where tree's are, or amung other things as well

Author:  WizardRiley [ Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Using the alchemist... how do I throw my potions?

Author:  WizardRiley [ Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Some assistance would be nice...

Sorry for the triple post, but I'm really wondering if anyone knows why some ascii characters arent showing up in my game and how to fix it

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/