ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just checking in
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 pm 
Uruivellas

Hello everyone.

Someone over at bay12games suggested I might stop by. Seems they have a lot of ToME players over there (Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3) and I've occassionaly thought it would be nice if some of that traffic moved over to here.

Nice job on the new forum look. Just thought I'd say hello. Any truth to the rumor that DarkGod is back?

Post subject: Re: Just checking in
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 pm 
Reaper

Hi Bucketman

Good to see you back here again! Is Dwarf Fortress good?

DG has been posting a little more frequently on the forum which is an improvement!

Jon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 pm 
Archmage

Hmmm. 'Is Dwarf Fortress good?'

If I were to answer that question with : 'Yes! You should definitly try it out!', it could endanger the newly found devotion to continue work on Tome you guys seem to have found.

But, honestly. Dwarf Fortress is *brilliant*. You should definitly try it out! Two good tutorials are stickied in the gameplay question subsection of the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:35 pm 
Uruivellas

madmonk wrote:
Hi Bucketman
Good to see you back here again!

Thank you. I don't know if I'm really "back" or not, but I am at least, like I said...checking in.

Quote:
DG has been posting a little more frequently on the forum which is an improvement!

I take that to mean that he's making the occassional appearance, but not actively developing? Hmm. How's morale? Lots of enthusiam I see, but is anything actually getting done? Some casual browsing of the new forum reveals a lot of the same discussion going on now as when I last visited six or so months ago.

Quote:
Is Dwarf Fortress good?

Dwarf Fortress is excellent, but it is its own unique thing. It's not really a roguelike. What Moria is to Diablo, Dwarf Fortress is to Dungeon Keeper. But with one of the most heinous user interfaces ever made. And lava. Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:40 pm 
Sher'Tul

Eric Stevens has returned and is going to revamp the underpinnings of the code to new versions of PhysFS ans zlib and other things. I think he's already done much of that.

I have a version of wilderness dungeons that indeed generates recognizable wilderness dungeons but is very buggy. It's much less buggy than it used to be, but at the moment it's not fit for production. That "paths not leading to the edge of the screen" thing is a killer, and I also have to figure out why the generator isn't using the right feats, and some other things. The development continues...

The randart code is still stuck at the bug where a crucial variable is mysteriously "userdata" instead of "table" and I can't figure it out. The corresponding code in ego item generation works fine and I can't spot the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:01 am 
Reaper

LordBucket wrote:
madmonk wrote:

I take that to mean that he's making the occassional appearance, but not actively developing? Hmm. How's morale? Lots of enthusiam I see, but is anything actually getting done? Some casual browsing of the new forum reveals a lot of the same discussion going on now as when I last visited six or so months ago.

Darkgod is actually developing and had made some cool stuff. Morale is mixed, there are is some fresh blood, but some hard choices had been made. I'm currently very exited about ToME future, but got no Internet at the moment and I can't really help a lot =(.

Anyway is good to see you checking in and we hope to read you more often.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 am 
Keeper

Aye, DG is indeed back. I can't go into too much detail, but he's making some very exciting developments coming from him