Poll ended at Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:08 am
Yes 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
No 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Ever tried what? 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:34 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

That's all wrong. The damage done by bagpipes (and possibly some other instruments as well) should be inversely proportional to your skill.

On a more serious note, instruments should perhaps be moved to the tool slot, making bards able to use ranged weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:13 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Atarlost wrote:
That's all wrong. The damage done by bagpipes (and possibly some other instruments as well) should be inversely proportional to your skill.

I can understand why you might say that, but I disagree. To the best of my knowledge, bagpipes were originally considered a battlefield weapon, both for their sonic damage and their ability to instill fear into the enemy. I may be wrong about that (and if anyone has better data, feel free to correct me) but if I'm not, then damage should increase with skill. Besides which, a skilled player of any instrument should be able to intentionally pick out melodies (or lack thereof) which are truly irritating, whereas an unskilled one would only be able to do a hash.

Atarlost wrote:
On a more serious note, instruments should perhaps be moved to the tool slot, making bards able to use ranged weapons.

I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:33 am 
Uruivellas

I also agree. Don't play on instruments when you are digging or climbing walls :)

Anyway, about bagpipe: What we need is not another item or artifact but a new method to let bards make ranged attacks. Beyond this I think any other idea what could make them a bit stronger, but balanced and "bardish" are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:17 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Vagabond wrote:
I also agree. Don't play on instruments when you are digging or climbing walls :)

It makes sense, a lot of sense. The only other way would be to somehow give the Bard class an intrinsic ranged attack, which is silly.

One question though: If you unwield the Harp (or whatever) while playing, does that stop the song? If you have to 'stop playing' while digging, it could be potentially hazardous to one's health.....

Vagabond wrote:
Anyway, about bagpipe: What we need is not another item or artifact but a new method to let bards make ranged attacks. Beyond this I think any other idea what could make them a bit stronger, but balanced and "bardish" are welcome.

One last bit @ the bagpipe - at high skill levels, the bagpipe would probably inflict a small amount of damage on the player. I.e. You would have the skill to pick out a rather hair-raising tune, but cringing away inside at the sound since you have a finely tuned ear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:01 pm 
Uruivellas

Maylith wrote:
One question though: If you unwield the Harp (or whatever) while playing, does that stop the song? If you have to 'stop playing' while digging, it could be potentially hazardous to one's health.....

Yes, it does. It checks the instrument in every turn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:54 am 
Wyrmic

Vagabond wrote:
This way instruments would be available in libraries and forbidden libraries in dungeon markets.
<clip>
This way there will be a small probability of instruments in General shops.

I think music and religion are sort of related in Arda. Look at the spells Eru grants (listen to the music etc.). Music is a sub-skill of sprituality. Temple is the 'natural' instrument shop. BTW, is it possible to get instruments from Princess quests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:36 pm 
Uruivellas

yes you can get instruments as princess quest rewards, but there are far more tvals for armour and wepaons, which is why these types of itmes seem to dominate.