ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm 
Reaper

I don't think that race abilities ever fail unless you run out of mana. Of course if that happens spell failure is the least of your worries.

The calculation for whether you get a free spell is in the skill spoiler on killerbunnies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:57 am 
Higher

budswell wrote:
Some more questions:
...- What do the numbers listed in the "race abilities" mean

Just the mana cost of using the race ability, if you don't get a free casting.

As Yottle said, watch out - you don't want to be out of mana. Though this is the spoiler section, I won't say it unless asked. Life can be pretty interesting then (and has been for my current possessor many times!).

Two questions of my own:

1. Is there no way to increase mana while possessing a body? Does increasing the magic skill help at all?

2. Is there a way to get extra max blows? I have four blows per turn now (Maia possessor, currently in a storm giant body). Though I qualify with enough combat skillpoints, I don't have the option to buy extra max blows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:47 am 
Reaper

I played around in wizard mode. Possessing a mature dragon body, I had 12 mana. Changing INT or WIS from 3 to 118 made no difference. Changing Magic or Possession from 0 to 50 made no difference. Changing Mana from 0 to 50 raised mana to 13.

So there is nothing that makes any significant difference in mana.

Of course, raising Possession means that you are going to use up mana at a slower rate when you are using your body's powers, which accomplishes the same thing. Just don't think that you are going to have a sorceror-like ability to cast spells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 pm 
Reaper

BSVeteran wrote:
1. Is there no way to increase mana while possessing a body? Does increasing the magic skill help at all?

2. Is there a way to get extra max blows? I have four blows per turn now (Maia possessor, currently in a storm giant body). Though I qualify with enough combat skillpoints, I don't have the option to buy extra max blows.

1) Your subrace choice will affect your spell points. For example a hermit will typically boost your spell points by 1 or 2.
A mage staff of mana (or wizardry) will boost mana
The Filthy Rag of the Wight can sometimes boost mana

2) From the information provided, I'm guessing your combat skill is high enough, but you don't have the ... 7?... skill points needed for the ability, Therefore the ability is listed in gray letters instead of white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:18 am 
Higher

Thanks Yottle and Wastrel. I got the Filthy Rag of the Wight recently. I'll take a look at its effect on mana when back in Bree. Busy picking up Eol and company's loot at the moment.

Wastrel, I think you're right. I have advanced a level since (L35) and can certainly buy extra max blow (1). I must have overlooked my available skillpoints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:57 am 
Higher

FWIW - The Wight rag raises mana (13 to 18 in my case).