ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:40 pm
Posts: 605
Location: sitting on a Chaffinch Egg
arrrrgggg!!!
Yet another of my yeek hermit bards fails to become a winner.
I had destroyed the One Ring.
I had lured Sauron away from everybody else on Mount Doom.
I was wielding a dark sword of nothingness in an extra arm slot from mimicry; so his spells were useless.
I had him down to 1 star and he turned to flee in terror.
I had around 450 hp and ample healing potions, but I figured I could kill him before his turn.
I didn't kill him, he was still down to 1 star and then I was down to 180.
Well, surely he'll die this time, I've been taking him down a star each round prior (unless I stopped to heal). The last turn was a fluke.
I attack instead of heal, he still doesn't die, but .... well....

Sleepless the yeek hermit bard is dead. I'll blame it on the lack of sleep I've been getting the last few weeks.

For punishment, I think it is time to play a possessor that only possesses eye's. I think her name will be Iris, but I'm not completely decided on race and strategy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:25 am 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:49 pm
Posts: 1715
Location: West Virginia
Wastrel wrote:
arrrrgggg!!!
Yet another of my yeek hermit bards fails to become a winner.
I had destroyed the One Ring.
I had lured Sauron away from everybody else on Mount Doom.
I was wielding a dark sword of nothingness in an extra arm slot from mimicry; so his spells were useless.
I had him down to 1 star and he turned to flee in terror.
I had around 450 hp and ample healing potions, but I figured I could kill him before his turn.
I didn't kill him, he was still down to 1 star and then I was down to 180.
Well, surely he'll die this time, I've been taking him down a star each round prior (unless I stopped to heal). The last turn was a fluke.
I attack instead of heal, he still doesn't die, but .... well....

Sleepless the yeek hermit bard is dead. I'll blame it on the lack of sleep I've been getting the last few weeks.

For punishment, I think it is time to play a possessor that only possesses eye's. I think her name will be Iris, but I'm not completely decided on race and strategy.
Ick.

I know the feeling- I sit there staring at the screen wondering exactly why I had to try *that* after slogging away for weeks...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:47 am 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Posts: 120
Iris the eye possessor? Why not then always try to do as most light and dark damage as possible?

_________________
-The Bigfoot

I really do exist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:10 pm 
Offline
Wayist

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:07 am
Posts: 16
That REALLY must hurt.

I am trying a human monk now and so far I am running with version 4 (lvl 45 now).
Number 1 (reached lvl 40 or so) died when I decided I could take on a Grandmaster Mystic (Overconfidence... you should never fight them in close combat unless you are a certain race).
Number 2 (level 35ish) died in a very strange way. Somehow I was reduced to -4184 hp (I might be of 100 or so here) when I teleported away from some nasty situation. Still dont know what happened; it looked like the teleport killed me really good (no other damage indicators could be found).
Number 3 died cornered by a Black Reaver summoned on a special level (orc town). Nowhere to run to, as the only way out was blocked by said Black Reaver.

Perhaps we should start a competition on who died in the most idiotic way?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:26 pm 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:40 pm
Posts: 605
Location: sitting on a Chaffinch Egg
bigfoot wrote:
Iris the eye possessor? Why not then always try to do as most light and dark damage as possible?

If I should somehow get that far, I'd use whatever attacks beholder hive-mothers have. I'm not sure if any eye's have light/darkness attacks.
I already messed up with the skill points with my current character. I had planned on using symbiosis, but I forgot that I won't have any equipment slots to wear a symbiote (or anything else for that matter).

I'm thinking of posting a DitL for Iris if she makes it to at least level 20.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:40 pm
Posts: 605
Location: sitting on a Chaffinch Egg
pluisje wrote:
Number 2 (level 35ish) died in a very strange way. Somehow I was reduced to -4184 hp (I might be of 100 or so here) when I teleported away from some nasty situation. Still dont know what happened; it looked like the teleport killed me really good (no other damage indicators could be found).


Years ago, there was a thread about who had died with the most negative hit points. Your strange death might be down with some of the 'winners' in that contest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:41 pm 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:40 pm
Posts: 605
Location: sitting on a Chaffinch Egg
Yottle wrote:
I know the feeling- I sit there staring at the screen wondering exactly why I had to try *that* after slogging away for weeks...

I've often thought that the reason it can take a long time to dive through Angband/the Void or to find Sauron/Morgoth/Melkor is for the game to give the player ample time to do something fatally stupid. Which is one reason I avoid fighting anything at those depths (and why random quests are so deadly in the end game).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:00 am 
Offline
Thalore

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Posts: 120
Wastrel wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
Iris the eye possessor? Why not then always try to do as most light and dark damage as possible?

If I should somehow get that far, I'd use whatever attacks beholder hive-mothers have. I'm not sure if any eye's have light/darkness attacks.
I already messed up with the skill points with my current character. I had planned on using symbiosis, but I forgot that I won't have any equipment slots to wear a symbiote (or anything else for that matter).

I'm thinking of posting a DitL for Iris if she makes it to at least level 20.


Try only possessing birds, it is surprisingly hard. The speed bonus will get you a fair ways through Mirkwood.

_________________
-The Bigfoot

I really do exist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:04 pm 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:40 pm
Posts: 605
Location: sitting on a Chaffinch Egg
bigfoot wrote:
Try only possessing birds, it is surprisingly hard. The speed bonus will get you a fair ways through Mirkwood.

Been there, done that (although I haven't won with a 'B' yet) 8)

One of my ToME goals is to try characters that will only possess certain letters of the alphabet. Regarding B's, I've tried to go from Crows to Ravens to Crebain, etc... up to Giant Eagles and Rocs. Not much success past the midgame. Since I can play a Thunderlord summoner if I want, I don't see the point in possessing a thunderlord. My current strategy (with B's) is to possess firebirds. Although they'll always have crummy hitpoints, they could be played as trappers in the end game to avoid melee with poor hitpoints. Plus the extra ring slots they get look very nice.

My current character, Iris the eye possessor, is past the *annoying* stage of possessing eyes that must blink to move. She got lucky with a potion store in the Old Forest that had a nice supply of morphic oils. Morphic oils of mouse allowed her to be stealthy enough to win the spider quest (as a radiation eye). That allowed her to do the poisoned water quest armed with a stack of wands of noxious cloud. By the time that was over she had her choice of 5 spectator corpses to possess. Now she can move normally. The total lack of equipment slots will make this very challenging in the end game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 pm 
Offline
Reaper

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:40 pm
Posts: 605
Location: sitting on a Chaffinch Egg
Well, Iris died from a puny green thunderlord fireblast. I had hoped to get the Avatar spell before I encountered that kind of damage.

Ok Bigfoot, you ought to enjoy my next attempt (given your name)... possessing a 'Y'. only two options a Sasquatch and a Yeti. I finally figured out how to somewhat reliably become an abominable snowman. I gave up on the best way to get a cloak of abomination. Instead I simply focus on failing the chance at mimicry. I have no hope of winning with such a foolish idea, but I'll see how far I can get.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group