ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:58 am 
Wyrmic

This is a thread just for fun for everyone to list the most disappointing experiences you run into while you play. This can cover everything from items, to deaths, to quests.

I am going to pick an obvious one because it happens to me in nearly every game i play.

Number one:
"You see a phial"
"You cast Identify"
"You see the Phial of Undeath(-5)"
Dernit...every single time.

Number two:
"You open a door"
"The Water hound creates a whirlpool"(x23)
"You Die"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:29 am 
Wyrmic

Code:
#@#
#..
####

#.#e#
#.@.#
#####

The floating eye touches you. You are paralysed...
...frustrating low level death.

I even had a lantern, just paid the penalty for cutting corners.

Edit: Sorry that should read
...ANOTHER frustrating low level death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:38 am 
Reaper

Discovering that the Long Sword of Eternity has an anti-magic shell (grr) and managing (don't ask me how) to die in Ancalagon's body :oops:

Most of my other ones are things which I really shouldn't be disappointed by, because I'd just be montrously lucky if they occurred, eg. never getting the anti-magic realm on sentient weapons, not finding Sting in the Barrow Downs (it happened to me once on a Princess quest - hence all the subsequent disappointments), etc...

btw - the secret to a happy run in the BDs is always to run around on coward tactics. It's much quicker and safer in the long run than sneaking carefully round every corner. I can't remember the last time an eye got me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 pm 
Reaper

IckyThingBane wrote:
...btw - the secret to a happy run in the BDs is always to run around on coward tactics. It's much quicker and safer in the long run than sneaking carefully round every corner. I can't remember the last time an eye got me.
When I turn on coward tactics floating eyes never get me- I always end up being killed by a small kobold because I forget to turn berserker back on.

My disappointing moments come in two varieties: never finding any uber-item like Sting, leading to character suicide due to boredom; and finding an uber-item like Sting, leading to YASD due to euphoria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm 
Reaper

a) Discovering that a possessing character only gets 2 hat/amulet slots maximum no matter how many heads you have.

b) Realizing that Fumble Fingers doesn't grant the skill I need for this really super cool character build I was planning.

c) Re-remembering that you can't enhance bear-form combat with Demonblade, Water Bite, or Poison Blood.

d) watching the item I've detected and am trying to pick up get crushed by a giant slug before I even get close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:07 pm 
Reaper

I forgot these:

Finding Sting, Ringil, or some other awesome weapon in Mirkwood- with a sorceror.

Finding an awesome quad-immunity, +60% to life, -80 to hit armor with a warrior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 pm 
Reaper

Yottle wrote:
Finding Sting, Ringil, or some other awesome weapon in Mirkwood- with a sorceror.

Can't give you any sympathy for that, since most of your characters are sorcerors :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:36 pm 
Sher'Tul

lol. As another sorceror player, I tend to be pleased to find Sting etc. Though I did waste a few hours with one of my sorcerors trying to see if there was any number of buffs or tricks that could get me to even accidentally hit anything with sting so that I could level it. The answer was no and that was definitely disapointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:19 pm 
Thalore

When I was a 49 level possessor roaming around Angband, I died, and I was dealing out 5000+ damage a turn. I had almost all of the artifacts, I had crammed all the houses full of them and then kept throwing them away. I had everything I could want except sting (which I can't say I've ever found) and the elven rings of power (which I can only find with sorcerors for some reason).

I really do exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:10 pm 
Reaper

Most of my characters aren't sorcerors. Most of my winners are sorcerors, which is another thing entirely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:54 pm 
Sher'Tul

bigfoot, I can tell you from experience that if you find the ring of precognition, it makes finding the rest of one's list rather easier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:49 pm 
Thalore

Ring of precognition?

I really do exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm 
Reaper

an artifact that is very rare, but if you get it, it lets you know every high level monster that is generated, every artifact and ego item generated...

in other words if you get it when using ironman rooms it is terrible :) otherwise it is very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 pm 
Reaper

According to my reading of the edit files, Sting is three times as likely to show up as the Ring of Precognition. I have only found it once.

It is considerably easier to get precognition by creating the foo of Eternity. All you have to do is make it through the Void and Nether Realm and kill Tiki.

You also get precognition with a level 50 lygrog in Theme, but then Sting won't be very useful to your character...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm 
Reaper

I've found Sting 4 or 5 times, the Ring of Precognition only once. I like it that way round - I don't have the patience to scroll through pages of information about demon pits and weapons of Westernesse every time I go down a staircase.