ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC

What gender do you prefer for your chars?
Female 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
Male 37%  37%  [ 13 ]
Neuter 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No preference 40%  40%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 35
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:50 pm 
Sher'Tul

I have noticed that a lot of dumps are female chars, I was wondering if there was a basis for this or what, tell me your fav gender to use and why! :D

(I personally use more male than female, and actually about as many female as neutered so, there may be some psychological bias for this but, hey, who knows? :? )

Don't be afraid, there is not going to be any judging on my part for what you prefer, I am just interested.

Eyes burning, reaction rate diminished, vocabulary deteriorating...you have just been infected with the TOME addiction bug causing you to stay up to the wee hours of the morning playing this great game! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:57 pm 
Archmage

I tend to use Neuters a lot, unless I'm playing a character who follows a specific theme (such as a character from Silmarillion or LoTR).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:07 pm 
Sher'Tul

I take random gender unless I play some thematical char, but it still is quite pointless because these genders get changed by these &**#**$)@*#!)*# traps! And most of these dumps that are female started out as males :roll: (and probably most of those male started out as females)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:09 pm 
Sher'Tul

zasvid wrote:
I take random gender unless I play some thematical char, but it still is quite pointless because these genders get changed by these &**#**$)@*#!)*# traps! And most of these dumps that are female started out as males :roll: (and probably most of those male started out as females)

too true! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eyes burning, reaction rate diminished, vocabulary deteriorating...you have just been infected with the TOME addiction bug causing you to stay up to the wee hours of the morning playing this great game! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:51 pm 
Sher'Tul

I play females because I am one myself and feel weird playing the "wrong" gender. I make an exception for death molds and play them as neuters. I have had one death mold become female due to a trapped chest, but my characters don't change gender that often because I try to detect traps diligently. Still, accidents happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:02 pm 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

Nerdanel wrote:
I play females because I am one myself

Ditto. I don't feel weird playing the "wrong" gender, though, especially as it can get swapped around by a trap. It's more that I'm just sticking up for female *banders, as we seem to be relatively rare. (I'd love to know the actual demographics on that!)

I've never started a neuter character, mainly because it's never occurred to me, though I've had a few end up that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:23 pm 
I enjoy trying to re-create various fictional characters in roguelikes, and tend to choose gender accordingly. If I'm not trying to play a character from a book, movie, anime, etc, I tend to just go with female, since that's what I am.

One possible reason for all those female characters on the dumps you see could be those annoying traps of femininity ;)

The Rani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:35 pm 
Halfling

I usually choose gender for my chars depending on the image I have in mind of them ... at least beginning gender ... - I've not yet had one character in ToME that survived for more than a few levels and not had gender changed, despite taking care to detect traps ...

Even a deathmold that started as neuter but went through being first male and then female ... (can you imagine how confusing this must have been for the poor deathmold ??? - on the other hand ... it was/still is a possessor, so it's not THAT bad ...)

But I do take care to have each character revert to his/her/its original gender towards the later game ... by itentionally setting of the corresponding kind of trap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:28 pm 
Thalore

I usually start my characters out as male. For some reason, I almost always stumble on traps of neutrality or femininity. Traps of masculinity seem very rare, and traps of femininity seem more common than traps of neutrality.

Once I get the character going, I rarely hit any traps at all, but early on I often can't avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:36 pm 
Master of Eyal

Seems to be lots of female players actaully, hey no one of them is single, in paris ? ;>

I do play always females(except when a theme character requires being male, like say, gandalf or fangorn :) because .. mh dunno why actuallly.
i guess thath since I'm a man playing a man is just too much of the same, I want variety :)
Actually when I play RPGS(or CRPGS) i'm always a female, I can only remember one P&P RPG char that was not a female :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:26 am 
Thalore

Yep, I start female because I am. Too many rpgs offered only male options so I take the female where possible. (It's fewer now, but even so.)

Also, sorry DG, neither single nor in Paris. But if I ever make it to Paris I'll certainly buy you a drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:28 am 
Thalore

I tend to pick as the whim suits me. And then the choice gets further randomised by those crazy traps ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:05 am 
I always play male(either Dundain/Ent/Kobold/Deathmold) because thats what I am. That and if I try to picture myself as a woman i get feaked out. I just cant understand why a guy would play a girl on a game. Wait now I can ,and it has to do with third person veiw and camra angles. But personaly I never play girls and don't like it much when other guys do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:41 am 
Sher'Tul Godslayer

I generally try to keep my roster gender-balanced; of the 17 characters I currently have going (yeah, yeah, I know... :oops: ), I have eight males, eight females and one neuter Deathmold. This has had some interesting consequences; for instance, my old Maia Hermit Sorceror, Geldorf the Plaid (male), who I had dabbled briefly with very early on and then dropped, became Serulin the Beige (female) when I resurrected her and re-added her to the roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:39 am 
Uruivellas

Male, because... well... I am one.

Edit: I never have to deal with gender traps because I deleted them from my copy. I don't consider it cheating, since those traps have no effect on gameplay whatsoever, and are fairly inane things for Morgoth to fill his dungeons with.

Last edited by Tachyon on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.