ToME: the Tales of Maj'Eyal

Everything about ToME
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Tome2: Unlua
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 am 
Spiderkin

I think this may be an instance of the old "does not create its own directories" bug. Try running
Code:
mkdir ~/.tome/2.3/theme

in a console.

(This is definitely one of those things people will be confused by, so I'll try to fix it ASAP.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 pm 
Uruivellas

Umm, just wondering, is it possible to compile against jansson without doing a full system install of said library? Where would I put it if I wanted to use it only for ToME?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:03 am 
Spiderkin

Lord Estraven wrote:
Umm, just wondering, is it possible to compile against jansson without doing a full system install of said library? Where would I put it if I wanted to use it only for ToME?

See the instructions. It should be possible to supply a different "--prefix" option to the "configure" script. You can provide a prefix which points somewhere in your home directory.

Now,our CMake-based build uses "pkgconfig" to find the jansson library, so you'll need some way to get "pkgconfig" to pick up your home directory. I don't really know much about how "pkgconfig" looks up libraries except that it looks for ".pc" files. You'll probably need to tweak where it looks for those .pc files.

Is this a matter of not having the appropriate permissions or just that you don't have jansson packages and don't want to mess up your system by installing things willy-nilly? If so, I think I have an easier solution...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:49 am 
Uruivellas

Thanks.

Quote:
Is this a matter of not having the appropriate permissions or just that you don't have jansson packages and don't want to mess up your system by installing things willy-nilly? If so, I think I have an easier solution...

The latter. :) Are you thinking of using GNU Stow, or such, as a solution?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:09 am 
Spiderkin

Yes, I was thinking of "stow" -- it's what I use in the rare situations where my distribution doesn't have a package.

... or, actually, you could just help your distribution out by creating a package for it. Usually it's not very difficult and you work will help others a lot :).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:56 am 
Wayist

First of all, big many thanks to Anonymous Hero for maintaining and improving one of the greatest roguelikes ever created!

As a console player I managed to compile a no-x11, no-SDL, no-GTK version. At startup I get the info
<pre>
Error parsing automatizer rules from from $HOME/.tome/2.3/automat.atm'. Line 1, Column 5
</pre>
-- i guess this is due to the introduction of Jansson and simply means there’s no backward compatibility for automation?

As for the removal of Lua I agree with AH’s arguments. I consider myself as something like a Lua zealot, using it on a daily basis -- strangely though I never came to use it with games. I recall looking at the Lua parts of the old tome2 source from time to time and wondering what the heck was going on :? Now the code base looks a lot cleaner than before. Thanks for the purification.

Considering the preferences AH stated -- can we expect a Scheme -- or better: ML -- based extension language at some time in the future? =)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 am 
Spiderkin

Quote:
i guess this is due to the introduction of Jansson and simply means there’s no backward compatibility for automation?

Yes. It's a bit unfortunate, but I really wanted to avoid a dependency on something as huge (and unwieldly API-wise compared to jansson) as libxml2.

Your comments on reading the old T2 Lua code reminded me: One thing I really forgot to mention when ragging on T2/Lua was the fact that all the Lua code was also extremely low-level -- it was basically almost all very C-like. This is the main reason that this was even feasible -- a lot of it was just copy/paste and adjust the syntax for C. (Well, it was a little more than that, but you get the idea.)

Re: Scheme/ML: Unfortunately I think it would probably be unrealistic in the near term without some form of semi-automated translation or radical restructuring of the C code to be more modular and FFI-friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:03 pm 
Uruivellas

Stow works fine... Consider the issue solved. :oops:

Now if only there were something like Stow for Windows...